- Completed: December’s goal—write every day! Finish a novel! The final product is actually closer to a novella in length, and it has all the flaws of a first draft, but I’m stunned that I got so far, and I’m so fond of the characters (cue the next few weeks of intermittent revising).
- In Progress: drawing (a hopeful new year’s resolution to pick up drawing and sketching), cooking, reading.
- Next Goal: January—composing! I’ll be working on 2-3 pieces of music and studying some composition techniques.
- Languages: I’ll be revitalizing my Mandarin Chinese for the next month or so. I will continue to review Italian through exercises, reading, vocabulary, Duolingo, etc.
- Piano: auditions/competitions coming up, masterclasses, the next few months will be rigorous.
- Miscellaneous: slowly working on some more poetry and short stories (there is a hefty number of ideas piled in my TextEdit file, most of which is leftover residue from the novella’s brainstorm stage).
Thoughts on webcomics:
Having wrestled the struggles of planning and executing a long-term storyline, I think that there’s something to be said regarding the dedication and work required to maintain and/or finish a webcomic. Combinations of art forms are always fascinating, and the fusion of writing+drawing is one of the most fluid and seamless, I think: the visual art pulls on the setting and descriptive tones while the dialogue advances the characters and plot (the epitome of a healthy relationship, if you will).